April 30, 2011

her gentle clutch

remember in my last post i said it was a blissfully happy wednesday?

apart from making me interested to look up for bruce springsteen...dr hossam also said a couple of words about shoulder dystocia...when he asked us for the management, i was completely clueless...(hmm...x bace lagi la nie...i tot to myself)

that evening, i decided to drop by the delivery room...after observing two c-sect, i decided to call it a day...but as i just took a step out, a woman was wheeled into a normal vaginal delivery room...hurm...just one normal delivery wouldn't hurt...i havn't seen one yet today...so i stood by her...

it was only me, the dr conducting the delivery and a nurse with the patient...the dr smiled and gave me a thumbs up...hehe
we waited...i asked if i could feel the uterine contractions..."try and put your hand on her fundus!" he instructed me...and we waited...

the baby's head seems so reluctant to come out...the peadiatrician came by us, asking how's the patient's progression...
"ma ti'la'eesyh!...di halet IUFD" the obstetrician replied... (dun worry! this is an intrauterine fetal death case)

huh?...okay, that surprised me...i didn't expect that...this will certainly end sadly in whatever way...
but even sadder...the labor seemed to be obstructed...huhu, the dr conducting the delivery called for help...and dr hossam came in...i was pushed aside as many more drs, nurses and anesthetist came in...
"i think it's a shoulder dystocia!"...i heard one of the dr said...

shoulder dystocia (click)

and frankly, so sorry on behalf of the patient, but i felt so lucky to get the chance witnessing dr hossam did every step he explained in management of shoulder dystocia that morning (of course except symphisiotomy)...since the baby  had already passed away, they were concentrating more in shortening the duration of delivery for the sake of the mother...

when the baby was out, dr hossam rushed to a theater for another c-sect...and was followed by the crowd who came in to see before, one of the dr who was holding the patient's hand called me, "hold her hand please, i need to go"...so i was left standing beside the patient and the first obstetrician who's suturing her episiotomy...

when the suturing was done, i tried to remove my hand...but the patient strengthen her clutch...her attempt was so weak, i could've easily slip my hand away...but i couldn't bring my heart to do so...she looked so dehydrated and pale...to kill the tension and quietness, i tried making small talks to her...

how old are you?
20
20?...am 22... (and already she's gone through this kind of pain...i added to myself)
how was it?
it's good, u've done great! (i assumed she's asking about the episiotomy as she was half awake already towards the end of the suturing and screamed with every prickle of the needle)
did he put him in the incubator?

it struck me...i was clueless...i couldn't say a word, but i managed not to trickle my tears...
her gentle clutch held my hand till the staff came in to take her to her ward...

that day reminded me of my mom so much...despite all our busyness in studying, we should never forget to pray for the one who sacrificed her life to ensure we live in this hectic world...

miss you mama! and ayah too, u took the share when u let mama clutch your hands...hehe
*may Allah reserve a place for you...am so grateful to be blessed with splendid parents...:D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love this post. It made me miss my mum too...
Mums are always the best in the whole world...