April 30, 2013

tailoring 101: 7 jobs we need to do to get a dress done

for a month now i've indulged myself into the mysterious realm of sewing... hee (mysteriousla for me)

there is much more to tailoring than just measuring, cutting and stitching..

for a newbie like me in tailoring, this is what i feel like while giving my best attempt to finish a dress...
*this has no scientific facts whatsoever.. thnx nabihah for the book you suggested ^_^

1. choosing a pattern > fashion designer



this feels like a 'fast-track fashion designing' course.. i had to learn what kind of fashion fits which type of body, what kind of fabric material for which kind of fashion, etc.. makes me feel a bit more self-conscious.. hehe

2. looking for a fabric > shopoholics



most girls would love this.. coz to me it definitely feels like shopping!!! *if you are not on a deadline or a rush to find one.. do find luxurious time for this so you won't regret n it's a good mental therapy too ^_^

3. getting yourself measured > tailor



the only part of sewing a dress to me that makes me feel like a tailor.. hehe, probably because.. the only image that comes to mind when i think of a tailor is a person with a measuring tape hanging down his neck like a stethoscope on a doctor's neck.

4. drawing the pattern > architect



i love drawing! my favourite part ^_^
and it makes me feel a bit like an architect.. (maybe)hehe, coz we need to draw a life-size dress, 
but the calculating process, hmm.. a bit taxing to me.. don't worry.. it's not as hard as additional maths that we studied in secondary school :D

5. cutting the fabric > a meticulous cutter



i'd say this feels like in kindergarten while cutting out the life-size drawing.. ^_^ but not while cutting my fabric, i'll be so meticulous and careful.. 

6. the sewing machine > mechanic



i feel like a mechanic with this thing.. do you know that the industrial sewing machine needs oil! and you need to use a screwdriver! to change the footer and needle.. hehe, am not so used to stuff in a toolbox. so this definitely looks like what my dad does to our walls at home ^_^

7. sewing the fabric > driver



to my utter surprise, this feels like driving! trust me! you need to have extreme control of the foot controller, too fast, your fabric may be stitched in crumbles or you won't get them in straight line.. but no worries, you can always unstitch them.. (but you can't reverse a car crash...a very safe way to know if you're ready to drive or not.. haha) just that, it'll double-triple your time to finish your dress.

fuh~~ (selalunya akan jadi sangat lapar bila dah siap - time for the tuna sandwich ^_^)
and walla! my dress is done!

sewing my own dress gave me a new perspective on 'time'
we're always told that 'time is gold' and 'time waits for no one' but in sewing.. i needed to take time, and make time.. be patient and passionate.. to get the tidiest and satisfying pretty dress.

do spend time to the ones and things you love!

*if you find yourself always complaining, try doing it yourself.. you'll find how much you appreciate things and people around you <3

maka saya undi untuk berubah! ^_^ ini kalilah!
saya sangat bersemangat untuk melaksanakan tanggungjawab buat julung kalinya!!
5 days to go.. selamat mengundi!

No comments: