September 30, 2013

patient collapse

i was oncall yesterday,
and i get two episodes of patient collapsing...

first was in OT, the patient just came out, he desaturated...the staff nurse called the aneasthetist oncall which happen to be my senior during medical school. what i did - i just stood there watching...
she managed to get the patient's oxygen in blood back to 100% without intubating him. just high flow mask and suction.
amazed! i was thinking, i need to learn this!

that night, after rounds with my MO, our patient in ward collapsed. this time, the patient ended up with intubation. throughout that 2 hrs trying to get her oxygen level in blood up to 100%, i was thinking, if i was in charged, this patient may not survive...; (
this time around though, i didn't just stood there and watch, i helped take the arterial blood gasses. but i was just following orders, honestly...my mind was blank. my MO asked the readings, i answered the figures, which i cannot decipher its meaning : (

i need to learn this!

the patient end up with something like this picture:

currently i feel safe, thank God my MO was there! thank God my senior was there! but it won't be for long...

i need to stop the blurring, and start knowing!
not that my medical school didn't teach me on how to manage collapsed patients, just in reality i've never faced them before. and when i am for the first time in the middle of it, my mind didn't work -_-

assignment for today - study on how to address collapsed patients = aneasth notes...

sekian, blabbering to my ownself

praying that i won't be a lost sailor, instead i will always reach my destination however rough the sea is ^_^
do pray for me...pleaseeeeeeeeeee

No comments: